For C2U Expo 2017, I presented on the importance of metaphor in our partnership storytelling.
For C2U Expo 2015, I strategically planned communications to drive conference attendance, and then developed and lead a workshop on plain language writing at the conference.
C2U Expo 2017: Presentation & Design
Background: C2U Expo is a bi-annual conference focused on community-campus collaboration. In 2017, it was held at Simon Fraser University.
Challenge: I was looking to participate and present my master’s research in a unique format.
Actions: In addition to presenting a traditional academic poster, I also designed and presented a (modified) Pecha Kucha presentation – 15 slides for 20 seconds each.
Results: I was invited to present the talk again at several other venues and conferences.
At the 2017 Global Implementation Conference, I won first place in the “Ignite” talk competition, and then presented the talk to the entire conference of over 550 attendees.
C2U Expo 2015: Event management & workshop facilitation
Background: For the 2015 C2U Expo, I worked as a knowledge mobilization research assistant supporting the conference hosted at Carleton University.
Challenge: Carleton wanted to make it’s the 2015 Expo the best one yet, but expectations were high from the previous conference and registration was initially lagging behind the 300-400 person goal.
I also wanted to share my passion for plain language writing, but was nervous to apply to lead a conference session on my own as an undergraduate student.
- Worked with a committee of seasoned communications professionals to craft a communications strategy and content calendar.
- Maintained the conference website.
- Managed student event volunteers.
- Applied and was accepted to lead a conference session.
- 400 people attended the conference
- My workshop was well attended and evaluated. I was invited to present it again several times to other groups outside the conference, ultimately presenting to more than 60 people, my workshop materials were incorporated into several university course syllabi. And, the workshop was adapted into a short video.
- I am your nurse – Employee Engagement and Communications
- Compassionate Eye Foundation – Leadership and Strategy
- Mithaas – Project Strategy & Health Communications
- Video Production
- Centre for Women in Politics – Branding, Events and Project Management
- SciCATS – Science Communication and Facilitation
- International Women’s Day – Event and Project Management
- Action ADE – Project Website and Design